Thursday, November 06, 2008

Follow follow...

... coz United are going to Glasgow!

I'm currently on the train back to London (free wi-fi on the train, woohoo!) and it seems that after a hectic time in Scotland, I finally have time to sit down and blog about my time here.



"Now you know what Mel Gibson's been up to these days..."

Basically, I have very good impressions of Scotland after a good 4 nights split between Edinburgh and Glasgow. Scotland has got great scenery, nice architecture, lots of history, and excellent story tellers everywhere. I did a free walking tour in Edinburgh, a day trip to North Scotland, and also an open-top tour in Glasgow, all of which were made very interesting because of the guides and also because there is such a rich history behind everything around me.


"Bobby, the dog who stayed by his master's grave at the cemetary everyday for 14 years after his death. Truly Man's Best Friend."



"Urquhart Castle in the middle of the Loch Ness. All you need is the monster to complete the picture."


In keeping up with my active trips recently, I also set aside time to hike up a hill in Edinburgh to get up to Arthur's Seat, which had great views over the city, making the one hour trip up well worth the effort.




"I now declare this place, Tim's Seat."


Finally, down to the real reason why I am in Scotland. I managed to get tickets (very expensive ones) for the Champions' League game at Celtic Park and I got to sit with the away fans, which was an absolutely amazing experience. While being at Old Trafford was a great feeling in itself, being here amongst the hardcore, passionate, United-in-their-blood fans and singing myself hoarse during the entire game just made me so proud to be a United supporter. These guys live and die by the club and you can tell from the atmosphere, just being around them and joining in with all the songs and chants. I have a few photos and videos from the whole game, which incidentally turned out to be one of the most one-sided draws in football history, but I don't think any of it can actually replicate the actual atmosphere unless you are actually right there in the thick of things.




"Stewards waiting for United fans outside the away end. We're a tough bunch you see."



"Atmosphere as the game kicks off. Check out their scarves as they sing a stoopid song."


"Kyle, the Celtic friend I got to know from my hostel."


That said, I am already looking forward to my swansong game, this weekend's cracker against Arsenal at the Emirates. I paid a small fortune for the tickets and I am going to make sure I get as much out of it if possible (ie. look out for a Singaporean streaker during the game).

Let's hope I get out of there alive!

1 Comments:

Blogger Sharpie said...

Last heard, the global economy is in a recession. Why are you spending your fortune or the lack of on these matches instead of on your sweet, lovely wifey? huh, huh, huh?

7/11/08 2:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home