Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Da Company

Three and a half years on, the company is still as:

1. yim jim - I heard from my ex-dept colleague that random punctuality spot checks are still conducted every now and then. I guess I can't blame them for doing that. The HR person who was supposed to receive me on my first day of work did not turn up on time. She had to get her colleague to cover her duties. Her colleague passed me some paperwork and then told me the HR person will collect from me. I never get to see her at all cos by 920am, she was still nowhere in sight. I was there at 830am.

That left me totally unimpressed with the HR here in Singapore. In the US, the HR go all out to impress potential candidates. They make sure newcomers feel welcomed and ensure they go through proper orientation. They strategize, implement, improve policies to create a positive work environment. They really work toward the benefits of the employees and not just for the company. In Singapore, I am not even sure what they do except to go through the routine administrative work.

2. giam kana - I only received my Dell 630 after sitting in the office for two days. The IT dept had to get Dell to repair the mouse pad which had been damaged by the previous owner. In the US, all our laptops are first hand and we even get to change them after about two years. Then again, I should be thanking my lucky star that I wasn't given an old model.

3. super giam kana - no mouse, number pad, extra charger/battery provided. BYOM (bring your own mouse)! If I had known I will be getting a Dell, I would have brought the extra charger/battery back from the US. I had several of those lying around.

4. uber giam kana - so used to just getting whatever stationery I want from the "vending machine" in the US, now I have to ask the secretary to unlock the cupboard just to get a piece of eraser.

I'd been so pampered. Now, welcome to the land of everything-also-cannot/don't have/not possible.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Jo said...

Aiyoh! So terok?

Well, u've been spoilt by the US. As for punctuality, think the HR personnel should be sacked! NO need to do OT, still so bloody late.

12/5/09 10:50 AM  
Blogger Wen7 said...

we do have used laptops from leavers issued to the joiners , just that they are usually abundant of them. That's why with abundant of resources, US is going down.. not cost efficient, effective and so wasteful... they should make you buy all your stationery, bring ur own laptop to work and buy your own office furniture too.. hohoho.. wahahaha.. Back to reality .. hi-5!
My last coy in Shanghai took 2 weeks to get me a laptop.. during which i had to go to office with my personal laptop, and check work e-mails through my personal mails. woohoo!

12/5/09 1:06 PM  
Anonymous Celia said...

welcome to my world! haha.. in china, 2 days is super efficient! In fact having a computer is considered very lucky. Some new staff do not have a computer. they have to bring their own computer! I don't think I need to go on with stationery! haha...so smile :)

13/5/09 2:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home