Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Pregnancy Progress

Hmm...I should have resumed blogging earlier so that I can keep track of the progress of my pregnancy. Now I don't even remember when I first found out I was pregnant and when I did all my important scans. See what pregnancy does to one...It's true, you lose your short-term memory!

Here's a rough timeline:

15 May 2010 - I only remembered I found out on a Sunday but can't remember the exact date. I had missed my menses for two weeks (i think) but didn't really think much about it since it has always been irregular. Tim suggested to test for it but I was a little hesitant at first as I didn't want to waste money on a pregnancy test kit After a little persuasion, I gave in. Better to find out earlier rather than later.

The instruction manual indicates that it will take about a min before the results will be out. But all it took was a couple of seconds. I was shock and my first reaction was to laugh (a weird laugh). I wasn't sure whether to be happy or not since this was unplanned. Meanwhile, Tim who had realised by then I wasn't in the room came knocking at the toilet door. When he heard my weird laughter, he demanded to know the results immediately. When I showed him the test kit, he was elated.

The next two people I informed were my sis and dad who were sitting in the living room. They didn't sound particularly excited but I knew they were happy. When I told my mum about the news when she came home, her first reaction was to congratulate my dad for becoming a granddad. What a weird family!

18 May 2010 - After checking online for a gynae around Chai Chee area, we found Thomson Women Clinic @ Katong. There weren't that many reviews about the gynae, Geraldine Tan, but at least there wasn't any bad ones so we decided to head there for our first ever gynae checkup.

When I first met Geraldine, I thought, boy, this gynae is so young! She is also very cheery and always smiling.

Since I was only late for a couple of weeks, she suggested to do a vaginal scan instead of an abdominal one. True enough, we couldn't see anything except for a tiny bubble (hence the nickname, He Qi Pao). There was no heartbeat but the bubble proved that I was indeed pregnant.

Then came the shocking news...I have never heard of the term fibroid in my entire life. Apparently it is a benign tumour that affects many women and I was one of the unlucky ones. Usually a fibroid wouldn't cause too much of a concern. However, given that the size of my fibroid which measured about 8cm (the size of an orange) at that time and my petite frame, it could potentially take precious womb space away from the baby. And depending on the location of the fibroid, it could affect my chances of having a natural birth.

Anyway, given that we could only see a bubble, we were told to come back a week later for another scan

27 May 2010?? - It was an amazing feeling when we first saw the heartbeat. The flashing on the screen gave us so much joy. We couldn't wait to see the little life in me grow.

I also learned that what I had is known as andenomyoma. A kind of fibroid that does not have a clear demarcation.


Sometime in June - Was supposed to have a checkup on one of the Thursdays i think but
I began to experience some spotting. After asking my friends, I decided to call the gynae and was told to go for checkup immediately. That was when I first saw the baby kicked. As it was a last min checkup, Tim couldn't join me and totally missed that. He was pretty disappointed.

Early July 2010 - It's been a while since Tim last saw the baby and he was very excited about going for the OSCAR scan at NUH. The sonographer several measurements including the thickness of the baby's neck. I also took a blood test. I was relieved when the results showed that there wasn't a high risk of the baby having down syndrome.

Late July 2010 - We found out the gender of the baby. It's a boy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home