Saturday, September 15, 2007

It's officially over....

Busy season lar.... what are you thinking? Come to think of it... it hasn't even really started for me. I worked like two days of OT at most and it was only until 9pm at the latest. Of course it is not all so rosy for everyone. Some of my colleagues really had a rough peak period. Then again, no matter what, it would never be as tough as in Singapore.

Over here, or at least in my department, the managers really show their appreciation if we put in extra hours just to complete a project on time which is so unlike in Singapore where it is expected of you to stay late. People will start talking behind your back if you leave at 7pm as if you have committed a sin.

There was this one time during non-busy season over here when the analysis we had prepared for the client had to be changed because the client provided us with some last-minute revised data. The report was supposed to be due in two days so we had to stay late for that night to complete the project. Actually, we only stayed until 10pm and was told to go home after that so that we could start the next day fresh.

When it came to appraisal time, my manager actually wrote this in my review, "She went above and beyond what was required of her to ensure that the project was completed on a timely basis." How cool is that?!! You will never find this kind of review and appreciation in Singapore. If only we have this kind of positive working environment in Singapore. Life would be so much better.

Nevertheless, it is not like that everywhere in the US, and certainly not so even within the same firm. I've heard horror stories of managers/seniors from hell who would make you work like shit and claim the credits. Unless you speak up and fend for yourself, you will only suffer. So I am really thankful to be in a department where everyone enjoys working with each other. There are no bad vibes between colleagues (or so I choose to believe) and everyone is just so happy to be working in this big "family".

P/S: I am writing this in the comfort of my home at 345pm on a Friday afternoon. I just got back from a post-busy season celebration lunch at El Tiempo, a Tex-Mex restaurant. We got the rest of the afternoon off after the celebration. Isn't it awesome?!!

1 Comments:

Blogger clownz said...

BAH... hahaha

21/9/07 3:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home