Friday, September 07, 2007

Big Apple

Tim, Wen, Celia and I had a great time in NYC over the long weekend. Being in Gotham City is like watching TV comes to life. The famous buildings and structures such as Brooklyn Bridge (Fantastic Four), Statue of Liberty (Fantastic Four again), Empire State building (King Kong), Time Square (famous New Year’s eve ball), Central Park (Borat), subway stations (Matrix) and never ending lines of yellow cabs seem to jump out of movies. It's just so damn cool to be in the midst of one of the most happening cities in the world.

But I doubt I will like living in Manhattan. Visiting the place as a tourist is nice, but living there is definitely a big no no. It's simply too crowded. There are just too many tourists. Or perhaps I have been living in Houston for too long where it is so spacious and laid back that I am no longer used to seeing so many people rushing about. In fact, the crowd gives me a headache.

It also seems that I am no longer used to taking public transport. When I first came to Houston, my biggest complain was the lack of a public transport system. I couldn't go anywhere without driving which I really hated. Yet, while in NYC, I couldn't help wishing we have a car to drive around. Not that I would wanna drive in NYC though cos the traffic there is really crazy. There are simply too many vehicles and people on the road and parking is really expensive. Even with promotion, parking will still cost at least US$10 per half hour. But having a car means I don't have to rely on the subway to get to my destination. I am not subject to the trains' timetables. I have the freedom to choose when I want to go home. I am so used to the convenience of driving that I think I have been Texan-fied. Hope I don't grow as big as the Texans.

Perhaps the ultimate push factor was the fact that we waited at the subway station for about 50 mins before realising that the train we were waiting for has already stopped running for the day. Perhaps it is because most of the subway stations are not air-conditioned. Perhaps it is also because the stations are mostly dark. dingy and stuffy. Perhaps i am just finding excuses for myself.....I am no longer the girl I used to be. I have become lazy. I would rather drive and park as close to my destination as possible. Walking a few steps is just a step too many.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ying said...

OMG! you are a changed person!!! how to go back SG like that???

9/9/07 10:56 AM  
Blogger Sharpie said...

Can....buy a car when I am back lor...

10/9/07 5:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home