Thursday, August 17, 2006

Blessed

It’s been a while since I wrote my last entry. I have been extremely busy during this tax peak season. Having to write reports definitely squeezed dry any creativity that I might have left to blog. And it doesn’t help that writing has never been my forte. But today, I felt so strongly about what happened that I have to write it down.

For the first time, I felt truly blessed. Things could have turned out otherwise….

2 weeks ago, I was told that I have been promoted to senior. Well, being the typical me who doesn’t show much emotion to any kind of news, I naturally did not have a very big reaction. Neither was I extremely excited. In fact, Tim was more elated than I was. Nevertheless, I was pleased. It was only when one of my managers asked me how I was going to celebrate this happy occasion that it suddenly dawned on me that celebration has never crossed my mind.

However, today for the first time, I felt that I should have seized the chance to bask in the good news. It is not everyday that one has a reason to celebrate. I found out that not everyone from the Singaporean gang would be promoted to senior come the new fiscal year.

I have always thought that everyone will be promoted especially the auditors since the department is in need of seniors. Furthermore, these people were already seniors back in Singapore and they are definitely a capable bunch that deserves the promotion. As for me, since I am totally new to transfer pricing, I thought my chances were slim although I was hopeful.

So when I heard the cold hard news, it was shocking! Not one that would easily be affected by what is happening in my surroundings, I suddenly felt sorry for those who were not promoted. They definitely do not deserve such treatment.

The truth is always a bitter pill to swallow. It is made worse by the fact that we are so far away from home. We took the chances to move out of our comfort zone to strike out in this foreign land, but yet it turned out to be a not so “wise” choice. Well, one could say at least we learned something out of this venture to the unknown and not everyone would have had the chance to work overseas, But being a typical Singaporean, isn’t success always measured by how far and fast one can climb up the corporate ladder?

So for now, I am counting my blessings and maybe or just maybe, I should buy a Coach bag to reward myself….

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

of coz u shld join me and buy one :P

zina

18/8/06 3:27 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

Congrats on ur promotion! Get Tim to buy u a COACH bag...heehee.

19/8/06 11:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

how about ferragamo?

19/8/06 12:05 PM  
Blogger Sharpie said...

Coach, Ferragamo, Gucci or LV, I am fine with anything as long as Tim pays for it! Well, he should celebrate too by buying me a prezzie since he is promoted too! Yeah!

19/8/06 10:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i smell something burning... oh yah it's Tim's wallet HAHAHA

~Tootie

20/8/06 6:12 PM  
Blogger Tim said...

Who's gonna buy present for me?

22/8/06 2:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home