Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Where are my friends?

It’s only the 3rd day since the 2 dodo couples are gone and I can already feel that part of my life is missing. I feel a sudden sense of emptiness.

Marvin and Celia are now fighting the hurricane in Florida Keys. They are supposed to be in Key West now but a tropical storm warning has been issued for the Keys. There is now a hurricane watch which means that hurricane force winds are possible in the next 36 hours. The emergency management has ordered a mandatory evacuation of all visitors and non-residents!

The timing couldn’t have been worse! They have been looking forward to this trip for a while. Hope everything will turn out fine and they will be able to have a fantastic time frolicking in the sun on one of the world’s most famous beaches.

As for the other dodo couple, they are now enjoying themselves in New York City. How fun! I missed the chance to go NYC the other time, how I wish I can be there with them right now! After their tour of NYC, they will return to Singapore for the first time. Well, that I am not envious of because Tim and I will be back in September too!

Well, you see, I am so used to meeting them almost everyday and we will definitely plan to do some activities together during the weekends, be it just practicing our culinary skills, washing our precious cars, window shopping, watching movies or gossiping. Even though there is really nothing much to do in Houston, we have managed to keep ourselves entertained pretty well weeks after weeks with our nonsensical blabbers and companionship.

This weekend, I had none of these. In fact, I spent most of the time at home. Weekends are really different without them around. It is so quiet. In fact, too quiet for my liking.

To make it worse, I am so used to receiving daily “rubbish” emails from all of them. During office hours, we will always email one another to “chat”, complain or gossip. We do discuss about serious stuff over the emails too. My evil twin can vouch for that. We always include Peiwen in our daily newsletter whenever she is in America (both North and South).

Now that they are not around, I am not looking forward to receiving the message “You have a new mail”, bcos once it pops up, you know it must be work related and nothing else. No bo liao messages to brighten up my day.

To think that I already start to miss their company when they have been gone for only just 3 days. What's more, they will be back even before I know it. I believe it will be worse once everyone starts leaving Houston. So for now, we must really treasure the time we have together in Houston!

Life overseas without family is already bad enough. Without friends, it’s really pathetic!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home