Sunday, July 20, 2008

Friday night

Just when we thought it was gonna be another boring Friday evening, we got an invitation to join Joel and Elaine to an evening of Disney under the stars.

We've been to Hermann Memorial Park, a mere five to ten minute drive from our apartment, a number of times but we were never there for a performance of any kind. So when we heard that there was to be a free outdoor song and dance performance that night, we immediately jumped at the invite.

We brought our mats (finally making an appearance after we first/last used it during our hike down Grand Canyon two years ago), some fruit, and a few bottles of water. We thought we were well prepared but when we reached there, we saw families with picnic baskets full of food, beverages and fancy cutlery; big blankets as mat for the children to roll on (then again many of the kids were rolling down the grass slope - a sight we seldom see in Singapore); many of them even brought foldable chairs. Young and old, everyone was out to enjoy a relaxing evening together wiith their family.

I remembered going to Fort Canning for Ballet under the stars and the screening of Erin Brockovich in Singapore but we had to pay for the tix. I thought it would be really nice if we were to have such free performances regularly which parents can bring their children to. Not only can the children be exposed to some cultural performances, the parents can spend quality time bonding with their young ones.

Then I began to wonder, even if such performances are available in Singapore, would the parents have the time to bring the children there? By the time the parents knock off from work, it is almost impossible to reach the venue in time especially if they have to pick up the kids. I bet even if they were able to be there on time, they will not be sufficient time to prepare a basket full of home cooked food. I am sure I am gonna miss the relax lifestyle here when I leave Houston for good.

This Disney's When You Wish was performed by a group of children with some adults artistes which probably explains why the performance was not as sleek as the musicals we are so used to watching. The showmanship although good, was not spectacular. When compared to broadway, this is really amatuer. It left me with a strong desire to watch a good musical again. If you were to ask me what kind of music I like, I would probably say songs from musicals are my favorite esp since I don't really listen to any particular genre of music and have never owned a music CD in my life. ha.

Good thing Tim just bought an airtix for me to join him in NYC in August. So a broadway show is not there far in sight! Now, what show should we watch? I was thinking of catching the Phantom of the Opera. The movie was a disappointment. So I never really thought of watching the musical the last two times I was in NYC. But one of our NYC frens says that's the best musical she has ever watched which makes me think twice about not watching. Then again, Zing said that it wasn't really that spectacular.

Well, maybe I will scout around to see what other good musicals are out there before deciding.

P/s: No more rattling sound from my car! Yippee! So how was it fixed? Apparently the irresponsible mechanic that rotated my tires did not screw the bolt tightly. When I brought it to another mechanic to check, all he did was remove the bolt from the tire. So now I have bolt sitting in my glove compartment. Not sure if that has to be screwed back anot. hmmm....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home