Monday, August 25, 2008

Big Apple Part III - Fri & Sat

I spent the past weekend in NYC. Didn't do too much touristy stuff since it was my third time there already. I expected my flght to be delayed on the Friday afternoon I was supposed to fly to LaGuardia Airport because of Tropical Storm Fay creating havoc in Florida with ripple effect in Houston. Surprisingly, not only was the flight not delayed, I touched down 15mins ahead of the scheduled arrival time.

Tim picked me up with a swanky Sebring convertible. First time in a convertible, I was extremely excited! We let down the top after we had dinner with Cheryl, Yeh Yun, and Eva at a Taiwanese restaurant in Flushing. Just like what we would do whenever we see a convertible drive passed, people were checking us out. I told Tim that those people must be wondering what is this young Asian guy doing with four girls in a convertible. Tim replied that they probably think he is a pimp. hah.

We stayed at the rented apartment Cheryl and Yeh Yun shared in Manhattan. The small but cosy apartment is located within walking distance of the subway. It was so convenient that we didn't even have to drive to Times Square on Saturday.

I had Bubba Gump for the first time. Jaguar Lim gave me a Bubba Gump Maui t-shirt when he was there for a friend's wedding many years ago but I had never eaten at the restaurant before. Since there isn't a branch in Houston, I thought it would be nice if I could at least try it once. I had a spicy grilled shrimp with mango salsa and Tim had a grilled sea bass for lunch. The food was pretty good, very Southern style.

After lunch, we caught a broadway show - Spamalot. Didn't really enjoy the show as much as I would like. Although the show was hilarious, it was too slapstick for me. I was more in a mood for a classic musical with good singing and strong plot rather than a comedy with forgetable songs.

Before we headed for a stand-up comedy in the evening at Carolines on Broadway, we, or rather I, went shopping at H&M. How I wish there is a H&M store in Houston. The clothes are so affordable and more importantly, they come in my size!

Dinner was a quick bite by the street. The last time we were in Big Apple, we had the most amazing lamb gyros on rice that we simply had to have it again this time. We couldn't find the same street stall though so we bought from another vendor instead. It was pretty good too.

Tim thoroughly enjoyed the stand-up comedy performed by Bill Bellamy and other guests comedians. The jokes are usually about racism or sex. I thought it was only okay probably cos I couldn't catch some of the jokes. I found it hard to understand some of the lingo. Oh well...

More about the trip another day. Time to unpack and prepare for another hectic week, This coming Friday is an off day for us and the following Monday is Labor Day. So Tim is gonna make full use of the long weekend by going to NYC to meet up with some girl friends on Thursday evening, Six Flags on Friday (since it is not an official public holiday for most people) and to Cape Cod with the New Yorkers over the rest of the weekend while I slog alone in Houston because of the filing deadline coming up real soon. Hmph, how unfair! Then again, i am really thankful for the great time I had this weekend!

Hmm....I wonder why Tim only has girl friends in New York. Hmmm....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home