Friday, February 27, 2009

Effects of the economic downturn

How do you know times are bad? When the crime rates shoot thru the roof.

A couple of weeks before I left for Singapore, I received a letter from my apartment management informing that a number of apartments were broken into. Those burglaries happened during the day when most people were not at home.

Then when I came back on Monday, I saw another letter informing that one of the residents was robbed at gunpoint by two African Americans in broad daylight. Luckily the resident was not hurt after he surrendered his valuables.

Then today, I received an email about two armed robberies that happened in Chinatown over the weekend. Apparently 10 men (Hispanics/Asians) robbed Tan Tan restaurant including the customers during lunch time on Saturday. The other robbery happened at Kim Son Restarant during a wedding. Of course, the guests were not spared.

Both restaurants are big and have cops/security guards constantly on patrol. Yet, nothing could stop the robbers. In fact, the two guards at Tan Tan restaurant were locked up in the restroom by the robbers. Although I do not frequent these two restaurants, the fact that I am always around the area where these two restaurants are situated makes me feel extremely vunerable. These crimes are happening too close to home!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home